By Mary Alys Cherry
University of Houston-Clear Lake’s “The Choice is Clear” advertising campaign gained recognition during the American Advertising Federation-Houston’s 51st Annual ADDY® Awards.
The campaign, designed and written by Houston-based agency Richards/Carlberg, received three gold and three silver awards as well as a certificate of excellence and an excellence in copywriting award for different aspects of the campaign. Launched in 2012, the campaign included billboards, print ads, signs and more featuring various slogans such as “What do you call a UHCL grad? Boss.,” “Created for NASA in 1974. Still Launching Careers.” and “We Never Made the List of Top Party Schools.”
In anticipation of its first freshman class in fall 2014, UH-Clear Lake also added taglines such as “Be First. Accepting Freshmen Fall 2014.”
The awards received include the following:
- Gold ADDY® for UHCL Billboard Campaign;
- Gold ADDY® for UHCL Billboard (“Party School”)
- Gold ADDY® for Elements of Advertising: Copywriting on UHCL Billboard Campaign
- Silver ADDY® for UHCL Integrated Campaign (Billboards, Mall Signs, Brochures)
- Silver ADDY® for Out-of-Home Exterior (Pearland Center Wrap)
- Silver ADDY® for Out-of-Home Interior (Mall Signs)
- Certificate of Excellence for UHCL Billboard (“Boss”)
- Brett Elliott Excellence in Copywriting Award to Richards/Carlberg copywriter Josh Powers for writing on the UHCL Campaign.
“We were very pleased to learn about the ADDY® Awards and not surprised that ‘The Choice is Clear’ campaign received the accolades,” says UH-Clear Lake President William A. Staples. “It has been a pleasure working with the talented Richards/Carlberg staff on this campaign.”
Founded in 1971, Richards/Carlberg is a Houston-based affiliate of The Richards Group, the largest independent branding agency in the nation. Other clients include the Houston Airport System, Mahindra Tractors and Tarkett flooring.
“I always say, it takes great clients to make great advertising,” says Chuck Carlberg, principal of Richards/Carlberg. “And, we thank UHCL for being such a great client to work with, and having Richards/Carlberg conduct our spherical branding workshop with UHCL’s faculty and staff, so that we could come up with the Choice is Clear Campaign.”
To find out more about the campaign, visit www.uhcl.edu/egret/marketing. For more information about UH-Clear Lake, visit www.uhcl.edu.