In recent weeks Seabrook residents have been approached by door-to-door solicitors and it has been brought to the attention of the Seabrook Police Department. Many residents are leery of solicitors and with good reason; how do you know if the solicitor is representing a legitimate business or if it is someone trying to scam you for money?
Seabrook City Council has passed Ordinance No. 2013-25, Regulation of Peddlers, Itinerant Vendors, Hawkers, Solicitors and Canvassers. This ordinance requires all individuals and groups, unless exempt by the ordinance, to apply for a permit from the City of Seabrook. The permit requirement was unanimously passed by Council in order to protect residents from unwanted harassment and to identify peddlers and solicitors who may pose a threat to persons or property.
In addition to the required permit, the ordinance also includes:
- Solicitors may only conduct business between the hours of 8 a.m. to approximately one hour before sunset.
- Solicitors may not approach a property that has a posted “No Soliciting” or “No Trespassing” sign.
- Solicitors may not remain on private property if they have been asked to leave.
The Seabrook Police Department would like to remind residents to follow these safety tips when someone rings your doorbell.
- Never open the door to someone you do not know. You may speak to them through a locked closed door.
- Ensure they have a city-issued permit, which should be visible.
- Do not engage in conversation if you are not interested in the product or service being offered.
- Do not debate or argue with the solicitor.
- Do not let the solicitor into your home.
- You may place a “No Soliciting” or “No Trespassing” sign in your yard or on your door.
- If you have opted to place a sign prohibiting solicitors and are still approached by one, simply do not open your door, or, calmly ask them to leave.
- Contact the Seabrook Police Department by calling 281-291-5610 if you have any concerns or would like to report suspicious behavior.
The ordinance and permitting process helps ensure the safety of our residents. If you would like to conduct business in the City of Seabrook as a peddler or solicitor please visit www.seabrooktx.gov/peddler to apply for a permit.