By Babs Bukowski, DPH, RN
Houston Yacht Club recently held the Mermaid Regatta – a women’s only race. HYC is the only known yacht club at this time to have a Spinnaker fleet in a women’s only regatta. The downwind leg had 17- to 19-knot winds and boat speeds of more than nine knots.
- Winner: Allie Cribbs, helmswoman of S/V Pesto, a J 105, in the Spinnaker class.
- Second place: Lisa Cushing driving S/V #77, J92.
Three minutes and 3 seconds separated these two racers.
Joining Allie Cribbs on the Mermaid throne winning the perpetual trophy were:
- Nicole Laster, racing S/V Bad Girl, a Cal 33-2, PHRF Non-Spinnaker. She was 2 seconds ahead of her next competitor.
- Nancy Welch driving, S/V Mischief, a Catalina 380, HYC Club Handicap. Nancy won same class in 2018.
In sum, there was the 1st spinnaker competition, a photo finish (NS), and repeat winner (Club Handicap)… MER-mazing!
More than 100 women were on-the-water representing at least 12 local, national, and international sailing/yacht clubs. Sailors traveled from Michigan, New Jersey, Illinois, Louisiana, Florida, Virginia, Alabama, and Mississippi.
Following is a list of six upcoming women’s races for 2019:
- May 11, the off-shore Mermaid division of HYC’s Offshore Regatta
- June 1, GBCA’s in-shore Women’s Regatta
- June 15, HYC’s in-shore Catherine Spiller Race
- June 16, HYC’s in-shore Fairfax Moody Race
- Sept. 28, TASS’ in-shore Carol Becker Race
- Oct 10-13 LYC’s off-shore Harvest Moon Regatta’s, Luna Trophy